[Dixielandjazz] Re: Putting People Down?

jobriant at sunrisetelecom.com jobriant at sunrisetelecom.com
Thu Mar 9 08:40:40 PST 2006

Steve Barbone wrote, in part:

> ... I have a very simple agenda. To make everyone I come
> in contact with aware of the fact that Dixieland or OKOM
> lives in the present. And is successfully presented in
> the present by bands other than mine. And that one can
> get OKOM gigs at all sorts of venues.

I don't think anyone disagrees or resents your stating those opinions,
Steve, although in many cases you're preaching to the choir.

> ... Or, perhaps as a third alternative, you might share
> your success stories with those on the list who would
> like to be as busy with gigs as you are.

It's my opinion that for many on this list, the number of gigs they play
is not the standard by which they measure their personal success.

For those folks here who lead bands, and particularly those for whom
leading or playing in bands generates much or all of their income, then
indeed, the number of gigs = the number of paychecks.  And, echoing your
constant advice not to sell our services too cheaply, properly priced
gigs = the size of those paychecks.

But there are a lot of us here who DON'T lead bands, who DON'T (or
seldom) play in bands, and for whom gig money is not a source of
significant income or any income at all.

I'm one who falls into that category.  I have a full-time day job, a
part-time job as well, and I play in a volunteer community orchestra and
a volunteer brass band.  I'm pretty new at playing OKOM (though I've
played tuba for more than 45 years), and I only occasionally get calls
to sub for a couple of local bands.  I go to as many OKOM society & club
meetings as I can -- usually only the ones with open jam sets -- to get
as much experience under my belt as possible.  For me, OKOM success is
currently defined as fulfilling the tubist's role in the rhythm section
as solidly as I can, by getting the leader's nod for a solo now and
then, and for having the solo come out sounding decent instead of lousy.

I suspect there are also a lot of people on this list who don't play at
all, or very little.  Some are just folks who like OKOM, some are fonts
of detailed and obscure knowledge about the field.  Their success may be
defined by ferreting out the details of an obscure recording from
decades ago, or by answering someone else's questions here, or by just
reading about traditional jazz and going to listen to it.  Some may
define success as simply having the chance to tap their feet to live
OKOM instead of a recording.  And for some former players, success in
OKOM today may mean recalling and sharing memories of their playing
days.

I'm sure that you're aware of all of this.  But that awareness often
isn't apparent in the messages that some others have referred to here.

And folks in my boat need to recall, too, that if very active bands like
yours don't remain very active (i.e. getting a lot of gigs, as you
constantly preach), and if we don't spread the OKOM gospel to all
generations (as you also constantly preach), then OKOM will die out.
I'll have no place to play, and we'll all be tapping our feet to
recordings.  None of us wants to see that.

Maybe most of us don't need to be hit over the head with a "more gigs =
success" hammer quite so hard or quite so often.  And many of us may
need to recall that the hammer isn't aimed every individual who reads
your messages.

Jim O'Briant
Tuba (for hire)
Gilroy, CA