[Dixielandjazz] Balboa

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Mar 9 00:40:44 PST 2006

Joe wrote:
The "Balboa" got its name from the Balboa Peninsula at Newport Beach,
situated on the coast about 40 miles south of Los Angeles in California. The
dance was first done at the beach Pavilion and then latterly at the famous
Rendezvous Ballroom.

Balboa is actually an island (now connected by a bridge) that was reached
only by a small 3 car ferry boat when I was a kid.  Went there a lot with my
Dad.  Still visit the island everytime I make it to Southern California.

I went to what was probably the Rendezvous Ballroom just before it was torn
down when I was in my late teens.  Stan Kenton's band apparently (have I got
my information correct?) started there, and they were there for that
evening's dancing.  I dated a girl for the first time that evening.  I don't
think we had a second date.  The fact that we danced from one end of the
hall to the other, always with her looking at the back wall & me watching
the band may have been why there was no second date!   :>

I remember, in particular, listening to a ballad, and thinking that's lovely
and soft, until they hit the bridge.  Five trumpeters stood up and blew
myself and my date back against the back wall with what felt like a blast
from a 747 jet from behind!   I absolutely loved it!
Then, the last 8 bars were super soft again!

Had another rendezvous with the Kenton Band in the 1960's when the March AFB
Air Force Band played the Los Angeles Pavillion.  We shared the stage with
Kenton, being on before them for a benefit dance.  Some of the Kenton
trumpeters came running up to the stage as we were finishing.  They said
they heard the music & thought they were late for the gig....which made us
feel really great, as you can imagine!

Great memories.  Jim