[Dixielandjazz] stamina at festivals

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Tue Mar 7 21:54:32 PST 2006

Musicians have long been spoiled into believing that they only work
four hour gigs while all other folks work 8 to 12 hours a day,
including Doctors and Lawyers and plumbers etc.

The problem is that Musicians actually believed this BS  and got very
lazy and have never wanted to actually Work their trade for a living.
Hence in the minds of many Musicians the gig goes like this:

first hour of the gig, load my stuff into the car
second hour if I drive slowly: stop for a 1/2 pint at the liquor store,
get to the gig,
spend thirty minutes looking around for somebody to buy them a drink :))
third hour take my clarinet/ banjo etc,  out of the case and put it on
the band stand.
spend thirty minutes trying to get somebody to buy them a drink,

fourth hour have a warm up drink and chat for thirty minutes with the
sidemen about what we might be able to play;
take ten minutes to tune up, ten more to arrange the set list on the
stage. Play thirty minutes.

fifth hour play a 40 minute set:
Take a thirty minute break and get another drink,
sixth hour; go back and play another 40 minute set,
take another 30-40 minute break and try to score a chick, get another
drink or two.
seventh hour:  PLAY A TWENTY MINUTE SET TIL FIVE MINUTES TO CLOSING
TIME rush to the bar to get a final final drink .
five minutes to tear down and load up the car with what it took an hour
to set up.
twenty minutes to drive home unload and put the stuff away till the
next gig.

Whew but damn this is hard work, I need a raise.

Or something along this scenario.

Cheers,

Hard Working Tom  who does three 90 minute high energy  shows a day on
a tough day.

Some days one 45 minute show for the same money.

Que sera sera !!

Ya win some ya lose some!