[Dixielandjazz] hi

Cebuisle2 at aol.com Cebuisle2 at aol.com
Mon Mar 6 09:00:30 PST 2006

Here is the news item re: the "Iowa."

The USS Iowa, America's first 45000 ton battleship, was commissioned in Feb
1943. During WWII she helped take the Marshalls, the Carolines, the
Philippines  and the Marianas and was in Tokyo Bay for the Japanese surrender. During
the  Korean War she bombarded the Eastern coast pf North Korea. Congress wants
to  moor the Iowa, decommissioned in l990 in California. Just not in San
Francisco,  whose supervisors , by an 8-3 vote expressed their unwillingness to take
it.  Their disapproval of the Iraq War and the Navy's policies on "gays"
formed the  grounds of their refusal. though supervisor Gereado Sandoval, in an
interview on  Hannity & Colmes (?) was more frank.

       "It's a warship and it's got guns on  it. It fires things" He went on
to say "the United States should not have a  military force." When asked how
we might defend ourselves, he suggested that the  police and the Coast Guard
could do the job, although he did not say whether  they should be allowed to
"fire things."

Stockton, Calif. is lobbying for the Iowa and clearly deserves it.
Meanwhile, would Tokyo accept San Francisco if we offered it?

National Review, March 13, 2006.

While crackpotism is legal under the under the Constitution, holding office
shouldn't be.
How did so many of these end up In California and Massachusetts?

Anyway, it will be in Stockton (?) although I thought this city was  inland??
Maybe they will put wheels under it??

                                                             love, dad