[Dixielandjazz] Russ' take on the Dixieland Monterey Weekend

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Mon Mar 6 06:16:30 PST 2006

Jim Kashishian wrote:

> Joke telling doesn't work well where I play...in a
> multi-language environment.  The band, having fun on stage,
> does work.  I don't mean leaping around, as such, but just
> oozing enjoyment can be seen/felt by the audience. ...

I agree.  When the band on stage is having fun, the audience has fun.

I've seen performances at various festivals where the each player in a band
will just sit there like a sourpuss -- no smile, no positive body language
-- it's like playing the set is a chore and the sooner it's over they
better.    This always sends a strong "lack of enjoyment" message to me, and
I don't enjoy these performances very much.

There were one or two players whom I saw & heard this weekend in Monterey
whose personal presentation conveyed a message of "I'm bored to tears."  I
recall one band at Sacramento last May where the entire band looked like
their dog just died.

If course, it's also easy to go overboard in the other direction, too.
People don't come to jazz festivals to hear comedians, they come to hear
jazz.  Still, I hope that festival musicians whose outwardly visible
expression says "I wish this were over," will wake up and realize that
they're in the entertainment business, and that an appearance of boredom
isn't entertaining.

Jim O'Briant
Tuba
Gilroy