[Dixielandjazz] Here's my take on the Dixieland Monterey Weekend

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Mon Mar 6 03:20:30 PST 2006

My friends,

I noticed that there is one thread that runs through every band I saw
that performed during the Dixieland Monterey weekend.

Along with superior musicianship they all were superb joke tellers both
verbal and visual.  The joke telling was an essential part of the
entertainment.  And, as time when on and the performers tired, the jokes
were taking up more of the stage time.  I must admit, I  liked the jokes
as much as the music.

Here's an example:  [ story is shortened for e-mail ]

After a nice dinner.....

Boyfriend:  Would you like an after dinner drink?  Girlfriend:  Oh, no,
what would I tell my Sunday School Class?

Boyfriend:   Would you like a cigarette?  Girlfriend:  Oh, no, what
would I tell my Sunday School Class?

On the way home,  "Would you like to stop at the motel"?  Girlfriend:
Sure.

Next morning:    Boyfriend:  I don't understand why you did not take a
drink or smoke but you stopped at the motel.  What will you tell your
Sunday School Class?  Girlfriend:  You don't have to smoke or drink to
have fun.

Russ Guarino, Clarinet Maven, but not funny.