[Dixielandjazz] Re: Strange Blues - indeed

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 6 01:28:26 PST 2006

Dear friends,
I've been following, with interest, for a day or so, the "Strange Blues"
thread and am bewildered by the escalating replies to Ken Gate's simply
question regarding some chord changes.
As I have (over many years) regarding similar requests.
I have never ceased to be amazed about the lack of knowledge that many
DJMLers from the US of A have about their own music!
The Wingy Manone record of "Strange Blues" was available in Australia and
the UK on a Parlophone 78 in the 40s. We all owned and loved it.
It has been played (and recorded) by Oz bands ever since.
A great tune to grow up with!
The Lu Watters' Sweets Ballroom band played it in the late 30s.
Why, oh why, do so many of the US musicians on this list need a lead sheet
and chords for every tune/song before they even attempt it?
In my early days (nurtured from hours of listening) we took our tunes from
the original source (78s). Still do. In those days, it was all we had. We
worked out the melody and chords for ourselves.
There were no problems at that time, so why the current need for a crutch by
taking the easy way out and asking a DLML mate for help. (Which was not what
Ken Gates was doing.)
I would not dare single anybody out, because we have a small dedicated group
of mates who will always willingly oblige.
The Argentineans, Poms,  Dutch, Germans, Danes, Swedes, French, Aussies, et
al have listened to, played and recorded acclaimed versions of 'your' jazz
for more than 80 years. We know about about it too.
But for goodness sake! It is/was your music!
You do not need help.
But I fear that some of 'youse' newcomers are a little lazy.
Perhaps explaineng the frequent loud and fast [same old] music, funny hats
and striped thingos that Tom W and Steve B have kept railing against over
the years.
So there!
I know that I will regret this in the morning.
Very kind regards,
Bill.
Listening to Ralph Sutton and Dick Carey (both old mates) and their
'Rendezuous at Sunni's 1969' CD on Arbors ARCD 19284.
[Still available, so don't ask.]