[Dixielandjazz] Re: Monterey

Russell Marvin ramarvin at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 18:05:34 PST 2006

    I will second (or 3rd) the sentiment that the 2006 Dixieland Monterey Fest was a delight. There is no more beautiful setting for enjoying OKOM than Monterey. Heard lots of great jazz, but for me the highlight was the final sets in the Bonsai Room with Allan Vache's group (Dan Barrett, Phil Flannigan, Bob Leary, and John Cocuzzi on piano). Love that drumless format !  Jim Cullum's band, with the surprise addition of some alumni - John Sheridan and Allan Vache, was a tasty end to a great weekend. Gotta love those great West Coast style bands as well. Jeff Barnhart, from my home state of Connecticut, just keeps getting better and better. Wish we had more festivals on the East Coast. Until then, California here I come. On to Sacramento !

  Russ M