[Dixielandjazz] Re: New OKOM band forming Need a Kazoo ???

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 3 11:16:01 PST 2006

     By an amazing coincidence (aw, now really--in a properly
constructed universe, there ARE no coincidences, everything happens
for a purpose), i just finished copying to CD for Dave Stoddard an
old LP of his by Pee Wee Erwin called _Accent on Dixieland_ (Urania
Records UJ-1202, from 1955)(which is quite nice, by the way).
     On this LP, Tony Spargo plays not only the drums, but the kazoo
(and also whistles).  Spargo is quoted as saying the he "is the
_only_ kazoo player in jazz.  Red McKenzie has long been credited
with the distinction.  Tony contends, however, that McKenzie was
unorthodox in his choice of instruments and did not use a genuine
kazoo."
     I have a number of Red McKenzie songs, but i'm too lazy to go
look for them, and my database of recordings with songs is (ahem)
inchoate.  Can anyone comment on McKenzie's unorthodox kazooage?

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**         "It's hard to make things foolproof because fools
**          are so ingenious."  -- unknown