[Dixielandjazz] The Futurists view of the music business

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 2 18:33:29 PST 2006

 Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis at larrys.bands at charter.net wrote:
about Things that will appear and disappear in the music world.

> This is a great read Steve - gives us all something to think about.
>
> The music business made a lot of money off of 45 rpms and before that 78's.
> The album may be dead and maybe good riddance.  Spending $15-$20 on a CD to
> find out six or eight tracks are trash or not really very good or just not
> to your taste then what you have is a couple of very expensive tracks.  I
> have dozens of CD's and older albums that this is the case.  There always
> was a B side that was the throw away.  This was OK when a record cost 79
> cents but it gets expensive at $15.  I don't think that I'm alone in this.
> It's cheaper to buy the one tune that you really want.

Yeah, it hit home to me when I visit my kids, and/or younger friends. No
more stereos, no more giant CD racks. Just Ipods with 1000 or 2000 tunes on
them. Or music from the TV Satellite channels for background during a dinner
party. Or Ipod music hooked up to the computer for playback. Makes one think
twice about making another CD now, if you are targeting the young. Better to
put your tracks in the 99 cent download channels. (which involves some
serious record keeping to pay the composer 8 cents per track sold)

The club scene? It is enormous among the young. And very late on weekends,
like start at 10 PM. We see that with college parties, club dates, etc. The
only thing missing at clubs is old people my age. :-) VBG. Apparently when
you reach 70, you are no longer supposed to drive, stay out late, have a
drink or chase women. Whoever made up that ridiculous rule was certainly not
a jazz musician.

Philadelphia has more clubs than I remember as a kid in NYC. Lots of Dances
too. Like the swing kids have a dance here every 2 weeks. Live band once a
month, DJ otherwise. And there are several groups of swing kids.

Yep, the scene has changed, but it is still there for Dixieland/Swing as
many bands are proving here in the Eastern USA. Actually it has been growing
here since about 2000 with several new Dixieland Bands forming.

Live music? It is all around us . . . you just have to find a way to become
a part of it and it isn't that difficult as you can see from my willingness
to give away my sources for gigs.

Cheers,
Steve

PS. The changing recording scene will make mates like Bill Haesler (or his
widow) richer as those records that are left will become more and more
valuable. Best market? For OKOM right now, probably Japan or Germany.