[Dixielandjazz] Elkhart Jazz Festival also (also long) (Very long)

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed Jun 28 11:53:41 PDT 2006

Lowell Busching wrote:

> Note: I have mentioned in other emails about how I think the DJML
> should be used to help promote and improve the festivals that are
> still going for OKOM, as well as talking about the old music some call
> "Moldy Fig"., or how to produce it.  That is why I posted about the
> Elkhart Festival, and like Hal Vickery I am making some lengthy
> comments on it.  Delete now if you are not interested.  No need to
> suffer fools.
>
> Hal and I did get together for a couple minutes at the Elkhart
> Festival this last weekend as he said. I have also attended that
> festival about as many years as Hal. It is the first time we met.
> Possibly 13-15 out of the 19 years at least in my case.
>
> There are always surprises at the Elkhart Festival, whether it be the
> pairings of the musicians, great performances of some songs, or the
> more negative aspects of festivals that still exist after all those
> years both in Elkhart and at other long running festivals.
>
> I am a strong supporter of the Elkhart Festival even if I am too cheap
> to buy a Patrons badge! Therefore, I am reluctant to dwell on the
> negative things, although I will mention one or two, at least.
>
> Some musicians had 3-4 sets a day or session during the festival.
> Equally popular musicians, might get only one or two sets.  No reason
> I could see for that, nor was I offered any. None of my business. If
> festivals put as much thought into the scheduling as the logistics of
> putting on the festival, all would be better. Elkhart is RUN well.
>
> I apologize to list mate Ed Metz for not making more of his sets over
> the weekend. So many venues, so little time! His choice of musicians
> once again was excellent, as evidenced by the Eddie Miller number his
> reed players did at my request as Hal mentioned. Frankly Hal, I do not
> remember if Fidgety Feet got any more applause then my request. Maybe
> we will have another "cutting contest" next year? I did HAVE "fidgety
> feet", however.
>
> My own observations on the festival are as follows.
>
> Sound: Considering this festival uses all "professional" sound people
> and equipment the sound quality and mixing was generally excellent for
> the audience, and with the varied venues. Not all were equal
> acoustically. The musicians will have to speak for themselves how it
> sounded on stage?
>
> The rental on the sound equipment must have been staggering. Most
> venues could have got by on far less. Too many festivals for OKOM go
> over the top on the sound systems. Use the KISS method. Check with
> Kenny Davern.
>
> The professionals tried to mike everything, but accepted it when OKOM
> musicians removed the mikes or set them aside except for announcing.
> Not all profession sound teams will accept that. A big plus for this one.
>
> How am I sure they were professional sound people, besides seeing the
> massive amounts of pre amps, amps, filters, giant consoles, "cable
> [...]
Yes -- the musicians are well treated here. I played it with the JAzz
Ltd. Reunin Band about '90 or '91. On the mix and match we had Jack
Lesberg on bass on one set, and Ralph sutton on another.  Both gone now,
but I have the sets on tape at least.
We have done a few Jazz Ltd. Reunion gatheringat clubs or festival --
for the Illiana Club, the Vintage Jazz Club in Michigan and always have
a great time. A few of us were members ofthe odlhouse band at Chicago''s
Jazz Ltd. -- I put in nerly five year ont rumpet. Barrett Deems was on
for a few years with me as was Jim Beebe -- and egad, both gone now.
(Morel of this is do not work a steady gig with me or your will die!!)
Elkhart was on my list to catch, but wife was shceduled for eye surgery
and so we could not make it. Thanks for the good review of the Elkhart
doings. We will take in the Bix Fest at Devenport this July. I played
that on seven occasionsand always had a good -- not sweteringly sweaty time.
Regards,
Don Ingle