[Dixielandjazz] Elkhart Jazz Festival (Warning: LONG)

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Mon Jun 26 17:49:53 PDT 2006

I figured that I'd give a bit of a summary of who I saw, and didn't see for
that matter at Elkhart this weekend.  My time there was curtailed a bit by a
head cold that I picked up Thursday, so I ended up in bed when I normally
would have been listening to music both Friday and Saturday nights.

*Friday Night*

Due to my cold we decided to stay at one venue that evening, so we hunkered
down at the Elco Theater, where we caught a set with Bill Allred's Classic
Jazz Band.  We were kind of surprised that John Allred wasn't playing in the
band or doing any solo playing?  Does anybody know why not?  I didn't get a
chance to ask.

The next set was one of Elkhart's "mix and match" groups:  Ken Peplowski,
Jiggs Whigham, John Sheridan, Howard Alden (we saw a lot of him), Frank
Tate, and Charlie Braugham.  The person who introduced the group mentioned
that Alden finished at #10 for guitar in the Down Beat critics poll and that
Peplowski was #5 in both the critics and readers polls for clarinet.
Peplowski joked that there were only six clarinet players in the world, but
Alden topped him by saying that there were only nine guitar players.

Both were great sets, but my body couldn't take any more, so we called it a
night at 9:30.

*Saturday Afternoon*

The first set we made it to was another pick-up group led with Ed Polcer,
Dan Barrett, Kenny Davern, Shelly Berg, Marty Grosz, Murray Wall, and Ed
Shaughnessy.  If there it was any highlight it was Berg's stride piano
playing.  Damn cold.  I can't even remember now what they were playing.
Just incredible technique!  This is the first time I've heard Berg playing
OKOM, and I wasn't really surprised how well he could play in it, but it was
still a pleasant revelation.  The room was supposed to be air conditioned,
but the A/C wasn't working very well.  Some of the crew were trying to get
one of the vent units going.  Even Berg was trying to help out, but it was
no use, so that was our last trip to that venue.

So we went to the Knights of Columbus for a group with Randy Reinhart, Bob
Havens, Peplowski (the nominal leader), Alden, Sheridan, Jay Leonhart, and
Les DeMerle.  Somehow, I became part of the act.  Peplowski said that the
next tune was written by Harry Barris, who performed in a trio that featured
Bing Crosby.  He then asked the audience if they could name the group.  I
said, not too loudly, but I was in the front row, The Rhythm Boys.  "Right,"
said Peplowski, "Who can name the other member of the trio."  I replied, "Al
Rinker."  Peplowski said, "Right.  You've won.um.what can we give him?  BOB
HAVENS.All right, Mr. Know-It-All, what song are we playing?"  Turned out it
was "Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams."  Great set.

I joked afterwards with Havens that I wasn't going to take him home, and let
him know that I've been a fan of his since I was about 10-12 years old when
my parents made me watch Lawrence Welk.  I mentioned that Don Mopsick had
written the list that he was joining the JCJB, and he said he was looking
forward to it.  He also mentioned that he really enjoys playing that
particular set because he gets to play with musicians who play in the same
style he does, which doesn't always happen.

We stuck around for the next set, the Bob Crosby Bob Cats with Ed Metz, Sr.
(Hi, Ed!)  I reintroduced myself to Ed, since we only met for about 30
seconds last year before a set and made a request.  It turns out the DJML's
own Lowell Busching was also in the audience and also made a request.  His
was "I Hear You Talking" (great tenor sax duet in tribute to Eddie Miller).
Mine was "Fidgety Feet."  I think my request got more applause from the
audience when it was over.  :-)  I should mention that Ed mentioned both of
us and gave a great plug for the DJML when he mentioned each of us.

Lowell and I talked for a few minutes after the set.  Lowell, it was great
meeting you.  Lowell also met my son Jeff and his girlfriend Steph who was
getting her first exposure to OKOM.  She says she likes it.  I hope so
because between me and Jeff she'll hear enough of it.

Message to Ed:  In the car on the way home, Jeff and I concluded that the
Bob Cats are among the best bands we've heard playing OKOM.  You guys swing
your tails off.  Oh, and Jeff approved of my request of "Fidgety Feet."
Great tune, great job playing it!

*Saturday Evening*

The evening started late because we drove back to Goshen so Steph could
change from shorts to slacks.  The evenings were on the cool side, so we got
back just in time to see the presentation of the plaque to Bill Allred, who
was the festival honoree this year for lifetime achievement.  We stuck
around for another great set.  Now, let it be said that this is the
festival's nineteenth year, and we started going the fifth year and have
only missed two years since.  I'd never heard "Fidgety Feet" played until I
requested it Saturday afternoon.  So what was the first tune in Allred's
set?  Well, it wasn't "Dixie"!

After that set we moved to another venue to catch a set with Reinhart,
Allred (who was not on the program schedule we got), Allan Vache', Alden,
Eddie Higgins (great version of "Jitterbug Waltz"), Murray Wall, and
Braugham.  I could probably remember what they played if I hadn't had that
cold, but Jeff was bugging me all day yesterday trying to remember a tune
they played.  He could only hum the first phrase, which I can't remember
now, and I couldn't place it then.  Excellent set.

*Sunday Afternoon*

We spent a couple of hours listening to MKOM:  The Shelly Berg Trio and the
Jeff Hamilton Trio.

Berg is simply an incredible pianist.  Hamilton is one of my favorite
drummers, and the trio set was among probably in the top three that we
heard, thanks in part to his pianist Tamir Hendelman and his bassist
Chrisoph Luty.

We finished with another pickup groups with Tom Saunders, Bob Havens (who
led), Vache', Alden (he gets around), Mark Shane, John Bany, and DeMerle.
Anybody remember who wrote the "Old Folks."  I love the song and I can't
remember the guy's name who wrote it.  Saunders played and sang that as a
request.

Now that's who I saw.  Had I not had a cold I might have seen Duke Heitger,
Johnny Varro, James Chirillo, Bucky Pizzarelli, Frank Vignola, Jake Hanna,
and Chuck Hedges.  Come to think of that, I probably would have had to split
in two in order to see all of them.  That's one of the reasons I love
Elkhart and one of the reasons I wish it could last more than three days.

Hal Vickery