[Dixielandjazz] "...playing a jag-time tune..."

r.r.wheeler at att.net r.r.wheeler at att.net
Mon Jun 26 08:45:13 PDT 2006

Bob,

I can't attest to its 'rightness' or 'wrongness', but I'm a big fan of Service and every collection, version, etc of his that contains "The Shooting of Dan McGrew" has it as "jag-time".  Could it be that the period was when ragtime was fading and jazz gaining popularity and this was a 'jazzy-ragtime' sorta thing?

I'm sure Jim will find something appropriate for the occasion.  Couldn't hurt for him to read a little Service to get him in the right spirit.  Besides 'McGrew', I'd recommend "The Cremation of Sam McGee" and "The Ballad of Blasphemous Bill".  Great stuff.

Best to all,

Ron Wheeler

-------------- Original message from "Bob Romans" <cellblk7 at comcast.net>: --------------