[Dixielandjazz] San Francisco Blues

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Sat Jun 24 19:04:11 PDT 2006

Just so no one gets confused.
I just did a lead sheet and midi file of the tune in Anderson called
"San Francisco Blues" (Chris Smith 1916)

In "Anderson" they cite a recording of this tune by
Clara Smith acc. by Fletcher Henderson & Don Redman.

This is in error! The tune sung by Clara and by the way also recorded
by Virginia Liston, is a totally different, fairly mundane standard old
blues written by Thomas "Baby" Grice (according to redhotjazz.com)
This frequently happens with the Anderson "fake book"
Makes me wonder where the transcription in Anderson came from.
or who did the citing without listening to the record cited.

Craig Johnson