[Dixielandjazz] The backup on JJ Johnson

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Fri Jun 23 20:30:11 PDT 2006

I listened to those tracks (again) and as a semi-proficient T-bone
and Euphonium player I only heard one or two brief  places where I
might have thought J.J.  was NOT playing a valve trombone. The
absolute separation of rapid passing notes, lack of "gliss," precise
tune and tone, all of that was quite amazing, especially knowing that
he actually was playing a slide horn!

On a slightly separate note, I do think, having heard many
outstanding Euphonium players (not in the "pure" jazz world) in the
years since those recordings were made that the general acceptance of
Valve T-bone, Euphonium, Baritone (and even Alto Horn) in popular
music is so far behind even Tuba players in the conscious of the
average jazz fan. I don't know of ANY CURRENT well known tenor/
baritone/Euphonium/alto horn player  that could be named by even
slightly knowledgeable music fans excepting maybe the Childs brothers
in the UK brass band world.
[  http://www.davechilds.com/ ]

Sad to say...

(and how many "really famous" jazz tuba players are out there? Howard
Johnson, Bob Stewart, Eli Newberger...?)

Dave Richoux