[Dixielandjazz] Trombone players

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Thu Jun 22 12:27:58 PDT 2006

TRUE STORY

The new cornet player in our band told me he started off on trombone  because
his dad played and taught trombone.  This family was locally big in  the
concert and marching band scene (Melville's in Rochester, NY) from the  1920's on.
 Since Gary at age 10, couldn't quite reach the 7th  position he sometimes
lost the slide on a rapid exercise.  He got so fed up  with it that he said that
one day he took the horn over his head on a broad  axe swipe and impaled it
over the footboard of his bed.  When his father  found the trombone, he quietly
took it away and came back an hour later with a  cornet.  "Here... this is
your new horn.  Now you're going to have to  take lessons from your grandpa, and
he won't stand for any abuse on  your equipment."

Gary said that he would practice down in the basement and would  sometimes
"jazz up" a tune, his grandpa would yell down from the second floor,  "play it
as it was written..no fuddy duddy!"

Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers Jazz Band
'we ain't just  whistlin' dixie!"