[Dixielandjazz] Gillespie & Dixieland

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 22 11:50:21 PDT 2006

"Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon" <mjl at ix.netcom.com>

> This was discussed a long time ago, but I can't recall the outcome.  I
> remember a reference to some beboppers (Gillespie, etc)  having recorded some
> dixieland (or as close as they could get to such a thing).  Is this true, and
> is it available?.

Perhaps you refer to an old post of mine about the time Charlie Shavers was
playing Dixieland at The Metropole in NYC. One night he took a higher paying
gig and sent Dizzy in as a sub.

Dizzy loved it, as did the audience, as did trombonist Big Chief Russell
Moore and clarinetist Tony Parenti who were on the gig that night.

Don't know if Dizzy every recorded Dixieland.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone