[Dixielandjazz] WWW was re-creations.

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Jun 22 08:41:02 PDT 2006

> Throw away the arrangement and fake it. The "jazz" is in your axe

I  love to but I'm not running the show.  This is a strictly commercial
group.  The band leader is a salesman who just happens to play trombone.  He
thinks of music as a product.  The product has to be packaged and be
consistent.  The group is made up of good musicians who can read and improv
well but he uses arrangements very much like a big band with solos (chord
symbols) every so often.  There is very little art here.

Then why you might ask do I play for him?  Several reasons. He books
regularly.  He pays well.  I get to read music which is a skill that rapidly
deteriorates with me, I keep my chops up and I like other members of the
band as friends.  Additionally I get to meet other musicians who play with
the band from time to time and make contacts in the musical community.

I enjoy playing with groups that improv a lot but they don't pay the bills
although working for this guy is becoming more difficult as I get older and
I might just say to hell with it..
Larry
St. Louis