[Dixielandjazz] Re: Frank Orchard

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jun 22 03:00:45 PDT 2006

> I'm going out on a limb with this............... I say
Frank Orchard played Slide trombone! Well, if not, it sounded like it to me
on the few records I heard with him on them.<

Dear Marty,
On the basis of what recordings?
Sorry about the delay in replying to the above comment.
I'm still flat out on the house  'repairs and maintenance' for Jess, so was
unable to look out the relevant sides until now.
First off. I 'lied' about having all the Frank Orchard sides with Max
Kaminsky. I'm missing 4 titles from the 6 recorded on 29 Sept 1944 under
Maxie's name but do have all the Willie the Lion sides made the same day.
But, enough to establish that Frank Orchard plays valve trombone on the
Kaminsky Commodore session of 22 June 1944 and the Kaminsky and Willie the
Lion record dates on 29 Sept 1944.
I then listened to the earlier 21 March 1944 session for Savoy with Joe
Marsala's All Timers and the Wingy Manone 15 Dec 1944 date for Joe Davis.
Frank Orchard also plays valve trombone on both. Unless he's doing a JJ
Johnson.
Just kidding Jim K and Steve B.   8>)
Thanks for the query Marty. It made me replay some favourites I've haven't
listened to for a long time.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: While on the subject of fine valve trombone playing we must not forget
Australia's Ade Monsbourgh.