[Dixielandjazz] J. J. Johnson

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Jun 21 23:50:05 PDT 2006

Steve wrote
>From one of his (JJ Johnson´s) biographies:
"....playing with such speed and deceptive ease that at one time some
listeners assumed he was playing valve (rather than slide) trombone!"

I comment:
Being how that is a "biography", then the comment comes from an author
commenting on other people's remarks.

JJ is quoted as saying himself:
>In several interviews about his sounding like he was playing a valve
trombone, he always denied that was his intention.

So, anyone that doesn't slide around like Kid Ory, & uses speed & agility on
the slide sounds like a valve trombonist?  Other really fast trombonists
come to mind, such as Frank Rossolino.  None of them sounded like a valve
trombonist.  They sound like very talented slide trombonists.  I never, ever
confused JJ's style with a valve trombone as a kid.  The thought never
entered my mind, and it amazes me that anyone that knows the trombone could
make such a remark.

There is the slight assumption there that if it's played fast then it just
couldn't be done on a slide, and that is not giving the slide trombone, or
the people who play it, the credit  deserved.

No, they are very different horns, and the valve trombonists uses a
completely different style of improvisations, shown particularly in Bobby
Brookmeyer's style.

Jim