[Dixielandjazz] Valve Trombones

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 21 10:34:31 PDT 2006

Dr Cave <calgoorlie at yahoo.com> wrote

> yowzah!
>
> and, on the other hand, contrary to popular opinion, the valve trombone can in
> the right hands be a damn good jazz instrument. Beliveve me. I have heard it
> done.

Oh my yes. By OKOMers Brad Gowans, Don Ingle, Tom Orchard, Dave Stoddard,
Steve Moise and the more  modern Bob Brookmeyer, et al. And then there was
J.J. Johnson who played his slide trombone as if it were a valve trombone.
Lots of slide bone players have followed his lead since then.

The bass trumpet can also be a great jazz instrument. Our trombonist Glenn
Dodson occasionally brings his out and proves this. And bandleader (Federal
Jazz Commission) Marty Frankel proves the same with his Mellophone.

IMO, Everything from a theramin to a hollow log makes a good jazz instrument
in the right hands.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone