[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Re-Creations

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 15 18:37:50 PDT 2006

Martin Mckay at macjazz at se.rr.com wrote:

> But is this "re-creation" any better or any worse than modern groups who do
> more-or-less the same set with more-or-less the same solos "re-creating
> their best stuff" performance after performance?
>
> We go to festivals and see/hear that all the time and think it is wonderful!
>
> Actually, I have very little real difficulty with either one, but if we are
> going to go past the spontaneous performance/solos level at all, you have to
> consider all of them.
>
> Martin D. McKay

Hi Martin

I hear you. Early in this thread was the thought that re-creations succeed
because there is an audience for them. And that is the most important
ingredient for the viability of a musician and/or band. Play what the
audience comes to hear.

I agree with your first paragraph. The re-creation, or the modern band that
repeats more or less are very much the same. That would be stultifying to
me. In our band there is no musical growth unless we attempt to create
something new, be it solo or ensemble improvisation, each time we perform.

Our band frequently records performances for our own amusement and we always
chuckle at the "newness" of even the old war horses like Indiana, Sweet
Georgia Brown or Lady Be Good which we play for audience recognition. When
the band is "on", it's like we are playing a brand new tune.

Fully realizing that there are some list mates who might think; "Oh no, if I
hear Lady Be Good one more time I'll die."

Analyzing OKOM one comes to realize that most of the tunes have predictable
chord changes, some virtually the same like Five Foot Two, Darkness on The
Delta, Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone, Clarinet Marmalade, As Long
As I Live, etc., all perhaps based somewhat loosely upon Liebestraum.

Yet they all, including a tune like What a Wonderful World, allow an
inventive musician virtually unlimited possibilities for improvisation.

Randy Reinhart's CD released not too long ago "As Long As I Live" is a good
example of that.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone