FW: [Dixielandjazz] New trombone

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Jun 12 07:25:58 PDT 2006

I no longer have those e-mails, but three weeks ago I took the plunge on
eBay and bought a Yamaha YSL-191. The horn is like new.  I got it for about
a third of new.  Yamaha still sells it.  A unique feature is its three
leadpipes that can be changed to alter the tone color from bright to mellow.
I cannot believe how much better I play with this horn. Thanks again to
those who directed me to Yamaha.
Steve Pendleton

I would have been one of those who steered you towards the Yamaha, Steve, as
I play that model.  I switched from Conn Constellation years ago, when Conn
got cheap with their slides.  After putting up with bad slides for a good
number of years, I discovered the Yamaha.

It was amazing how it balanced in my hand, feeling exactly like the
Conn...but, with an excellent slide.  Perhaps the only thing I miss is the
large lower note sound the Conn had, but then that could also be my
chops...since I spend a great deal of time in the area above the pentagram.

I've found the leadpipes (not as in the metal, but in like "lead trombone")
a bit of a trick.  You find the one you like & don't tend to change it.  I
use the smallest bore, number 1.

I've had a 3 of the Yamahas.  Due for a new one soon.  They tend to last me
8 or 9 yrs, before the slide starts to get a bit sloppy.  The one I have
still looks new & shiny.  I give it a bath, shooting hot water through the
horn (in the bath), and using soap & hot water on the outside about once a
week.  Fresh cream on the slide, a shot of water, and you're ready to blow!

Enjoy the horn.

Jim