[Dixielandjazz] euphonium

tubaman at tubatoast.com tubaman at tubatoast.com
Thu Jun 8 13:54:08 PDT 2006

Quoting Bill Gunter <jazzboard at hotmail.com>:

> So . . .
>
> (1) What, precisely is a euphonium (does the word "conical" fit in here
> anywhere)?
AFAIK, The general consensus is Greek(or maybe
Latin)"Euphos"=Beautiful "Phonium" =Sound  but that is not proven. The
Euphonium is conical bore, as is the tuba and Cornet and Fluglehorn.
The term Baritone Horn was interchangable in the US, but not other
parts of the world and many US Euphonists have now been educated to
know the diference ;-)  (Baritone, Tenor and Alto Horns tend to be
less conical, leaning towards the trumpet family.) Double-Bell
Euphoniums were supposed to combine the two families with a Bb Euph
conical and a Tenor Horn straight bore section, with some variation.

Somewhere there is a chart with all the variations in brasswind names
around the world - I will try to find it later...

> (2) What is the plural of euphonium (probably depends on which grammar
> rules you follow)?

Euphonia, Euphoniums, a bunch of Euphonies, who the heck knows!

Dave Richoux
Not a stupid question at all!