[Dixielandjazz] The Wife - informal poll

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Jun 8 09:35:46 PDT 2006

Last night we did a park concert at an area college that was moderately attended by the public.

I said that I would make a count of wives / girl friends that showed up to the concert.

Now this was a kick ass band that is the best big band jazz group in the city or surrounding area.  More than half of the members are active or former Air Force bandsmen and the band is made up of other pros around here who are on top of their game so you can't say that this was a ho hum concert by any stretch.

One wife- the leaders and one husband - the singers showed up.  I asked one of the young guys if he brought his family.  He said that  wife had gone to one gig that week but had to stay at home with the kids.  Guys that play a lot just don't drag their wives and families along no matter how good the concert.  I can see where the once a month hobby player's wife might like the night out.  My contention is that the more professional the players the less that they bring wives and girl friends to work with them.

I don't find that strange since other people at work don't bring their wife with them.

Another interesting thing is that we were paid $105 for the concert.  Next week one of the more popular hobby bands will play there.  They will get $50.  This involves a 25-50 mile drive one way.  Musically there is nothing wrong with that band.  They are actually very good so the people will enjoy them.  The members of that band are being short changed by the wealthy doctor that owns it and does not play anything - only MC's the band.  I talked to one of the members this morning and he said that's because they Play the Casa Loma ballroom ( the oldest and only ballroom in St. Louis ).  They think this has great mystique and is very cool.  There they play for the gate which is about $15 per man if they split it but the band pays the $50 anyway.  As I see it they should dump the ballroom.  It's in a not cool part of town.  They have guards for parking that escort you in. Then it's up three flights of steps. ????? I played there when I was in High School and got more then, allowing for inflation, than they get now and no guards.

This is just plain wrong.  Two of the guys in that band is living on a very small income and the extra few bucks would help and what does the good Doctor care except as bragging rights.

Their wives don't show up either.
Larry
St. Louis