[Dixielandjazz] wives/partners

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Jun 7 10:23:05 PDT 2006

It's been interesting seeing the various comments from people about "wives
or partners on gigs".  Obviously, the varying types of gigs each band has
creates a different situation for each particular partner.

I can certainly see how the occassional jazz festival would be an ideal
setting for having someone along with you.  Or, even a cruise ship. I can't
see how, as in our case, where late nite, smokey night clubs is the norm,
that a partner fits in.

Someone mentioned "helping with the sound".  We had one "partner" that
didn't last too long (thank goodness!).  She kept telling the sound guy to
turn her musician friend up in the mix!    :>

And, going for drinks, someone said.  The club we are at for this week is
similar to most.  The bartender sees me walk in the door.  By the time I
have the horn & mutes out, my tiny expresso coffee is prepared & on the
counter, along with my tonic water (no ice!).  No charge, either!

Anyway, it's fun to see the different reactions from people on DJML.  There
shouldn't, however, be any hint that "I've got it (or, you've got it) right.
Each to his own.

Jim