[Dixielandjazz] Old stuff that we cherish

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 6 08:51:00 PDT 2006

Hello all,

John D. observed (regarding his wife's taste in OKOM):

>Julie, my partner of 7 years . . . tends to think of OKOM as 'Tom
>& Jerry' music certainly as far as recordings go, altho' she did quite
>enjoy
>at least some of the music live at the festivals before I retired from that
>scene.

Interesting thoughts contained therein.  First, there is a strong
implication that "Tom & Jerry music" is not "enjoyable." Also that by
classifying music thusly one tends to trivialize it.

May I observe the following:

1. Animated cartoons are by nature funny, colorful, enjoyable and immensly
popular.

2. Life without humor would be dull indeed.

3. There is a good reason OKOM is very often used to accompany happy, fun
and enjoyable entertainments.

4. People who trivialize OKOM by calling it cartoon music may be
deliberately deluding themselves into thinking the music has no real value.
In truth this may be among it's greatest values.

You know, I love classical music, (symphonies, operas, etc.) and I love
OKOM.  I love them equally. Life without either one of them would be
diminished indeed.

How far removed from the real world of joy do we sometimes place ourselves
by observing that this or that delightful morsel is "trivial" (unworthy, of
no value, insignificant and/or meaningless)?

OK - back to the old grind.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Keep a song in-a you heart and a smile on-a you face) Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com