[Dixielandjazz] Sound guys

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Jun 4 21:28:29 PDT 2006

You are of course assuming that the leader or I had anything to do with it.
I would have been glad to do sound for them or had a friend who did sound
for the AF band near here do it but we weren't asked.  But there's always
next year.  I have played this gig about 4 times with this particular leader
who happens to play for me quite often.  We had no idea and walking out of
the job was out of the question but as I said there's always next year.

I actually carry a pretty good PA with me all the time.  I use a couple of
the 15" EON powered monitors.  They are very adequate for groups up to about
three or four hundred.  Outside they could use a little more punch but we
don't need a whole lot.

I had my sound system with me as always but I wasn't about to schlep it in
unless they paid me.  The leader on this particular day doesn't do sound for
anyone.  They wanted sound to reach down the halls. (not actually halls but
long narrow rooms with the band at the end on the hub of the wheel more or
less) That's why the place was full of wires running everywhere.

We really didn't realize how bad they were until we started to play.  They
had a monster board sat up right behind us and as I said 7 huge cabinets.
As I recall they had one poorly placed monitor.

You said it better than I - What gives guys the idea that they can buy a
bunch of stuff and call themselves sound men?   I guess they learned it from
the guys who get a bunch of stuff and call themselves DJ's.
Larry
St. Louis