[Dixielandjazz] Mal Sharpe's Dixieland Band

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 3 07:44:16 PDT 2006

Thanks to the list mates who provided info on Mal Sharpe. Reason I asked
about him is that he was playing at one of the venues in the Sonoma Jazz
Festival last weekend. Then I found out he would be at Yoshi's in Jack
London square on July 4, pre-fireworks show.

A Dixieland Band at Yoshi's? Now that's an accomplishment.

I met up with him and his band members in the mid 1960's when I lived in
Sausalito and then the Oakland Hills, Montclair section. That was shortly
after I stopped playing music and concentrated on my day gig in order to
raise a family in circumstances other than dire poverty. I also think we
shared more than a few drinks with Herb Caen back then at The House of
Shields on Montgomery St. (I think) in S.F.

Apparently he still fronts a working Dixieland Band with a regular gig
schedule in the Bay area and I was very glad to hear that.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone