[Dixielandjazz] Jubilee Sacto

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Fri Jun 2 07:18:03 PDT 2006

Mr. Barbone:
My fine reputation preceeds me - -it's because I am pompous, arrogant,
and better than everyone else.  You forgot egotistical, maniacal,
self-pontifying, and hifalutin, which all my friends who know me would
have included.  I dearly love jazz, and it killed me not to see the
Sacramento Jubilee not glowing from afar as it usually does.  This
event should lead the pack, not fall back in line to a position of
following and trying to keep up.  I have received several emails to my
own mailbox indicating that I was "right on" in several aspects about
some bands in the festival.  A couple even named the bands they thought
I might be referring to, and are being generally known as reputable,
but were, for the Jubilee, boring - -and they weren't even the ones I
was thinking of.! My god, how many were there?  By the way, not to be
entirely negative (also one of my fine qualities not previously
mentioned) there were still large numbers of bands that made the
Jubilee a fun place to be, bands that kept up the spirit of being at a
festival.  At this time , my take on the overall event is that it was
about a 60-40 percent split on bands that belong/bands that don't
belong.  This whole thing was to create a discussion about keeping the
Jubilee alive and vital.  It's way too good a thing to see vanish,
loaded with excellent people who , as I, just dearly love jazz, and
worked innumerable hours to make this event, and they have my huge
admiration.  It's extremely difficult to pull it off.  It's just that
some issues need to be frankly and closely examined, and now is
definitely the time to do it.  There's another hard -fought issue:
Sacramento broke away from being a trad jazz festival to  including
blues, cajun, swing, and other miscellaneous acts, and the argument
runs rampant as to whether this helps or hinders attendance.   They
should ask me, since I am also a know-it- all.  Thanks Steve for your
contributions.  Budda Bless America, for all of us to be able to have
these grand opinions, and have the opportunity to express them.