[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Jubilee

acjspres at aol.com acjspres at aol.com
Thu Jun 1 20:40:32 PDT 2006

My sister (Rae Ann) and I have attended every Jubilee since 1980. We attend
all 4.5 days and hear as many bands as we can. My reaction to this years
festival was a little different from others who have posted so far.

But, there were many local bands who should not have been invited but
probably were hired in order to save money.

The crowds were large in many venues and I suspect the festival did OK
financially....maybe Bob Ringwald can let us know.

Several venues were completely full with standing room only......examples
are:  Cornet Chop Suey, Sister Swing, Midiri Brothers, Mighty  Aphrodite,
Bonerama, and the swing dance competition that had 500 jazz fans  watching ten
couples compete.

I observed very respectable attendance at venues with Reynolds Brothers
Rhythm Rascals, Climax Jazz Band, Boondockers, Royal Garden Trio, Igor's Jazz
Cowboys and the Cell Block Seven.

Every time Bob Draga sits in with a featured band a large crowd turns out  to
hear/see him.

Many other bands I heard had very poor attendance...I would rather not name
them ( I have good friends in many of these bands).

Overall we were surprised by the large collection of mediocre bands this
year.

"We are  confronted with insurmountable opportunities"....Pogo

Joe Hopkins
AZ  Classic Jazz Society Vice-President
Jazz Clarinet...52nd Street Jazz Band  602-810-5888 or 480-396-6798
_www.azclassicjazz.org_ (http://www.azaclassicjazz.org/)