[Dixielandjazz] The AFM letter regarding musical instruments

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 30 09:03:58 PDT 2006

Here is the letter from the US Dept of Transportation, Transportation
Security Administration, 400 Seventh Street S.W., Washington DC 20590,
received January 17, 2003, by the AFM in NYC, copy to  Mr. Hal Ponder of the
AFM office in Washington D.C.

I think this is the PDF copy that Dave Hanson could not post because it was
an attachment.

Mr. Thomas Lee, President
American Federation of Musicians
1501 Broadway, Suite 600
New York, NY 10036-5501

Dear Mr. Lee:

As a follow up to our earlier meeting with Mr. Hal Ponder of the American
Federation of Musicians, following are the Transportation Security
Administration's (TSA) revised policy and procedures regarding the screening
and carriage of musical instruments through security checkpoints at our
nation's airports and transportation of musical instruments aboard aircraft.

1) On December 20, 2002, TSA instructed aircraft operators that effective
immediately they are to allow musical instruments as carry-on baggage in
addition to the limit of of one bag and one personal item per person as
carry-on baggage on an aircraft.

2) Additionally, these revised procedures were communicated to our YTSA
screeners at the passenger screening checkpoints throughout the country.
Should your membership experience problems at the security screening
checkpoints, please advise them to request speaking to a screening
supervisor for resolution.

If I can provide further assistance, please feel free to give me a call.

Sincerely yours,

(signed)

Thomas R. Blank,
Assistant Administrator for Security Regulation and Policy

It seems logical to me that the new administrators would not ban musical
instrument carry-ons However, Now that Homeland Security is in charge, it is
a good idea to call the airline as to their size regulations and or cabin
storage if the instrument will not fit in the overhead, or under the seat in
front of you.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone