[Dixielandjazz] Axes :) as carry-on luggage

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sat Jul 29 19:21:40 PDT 2006

I shall never again assume that I can carry on my instrument.  It is
ultimately always the call of the chief attendant for that flight whether you  can
board with it no matter if you have no other carry on.  My banjo was  cleared by
both security supervisor and an AA supervisor, the letter saying  carry-ons
permitted in my hand, but still turned away at boarding  by a b----- attendant
for no reason other than her mood.  Because I  then asked if it would then be
gate-checked she made sure it came flying  off a carousel (case upside down)
on arrival.  Coming home, attendants on  both flights made friendly comments
and sent me right on down the aisle  instrument and all, same airline, one of
the planes actually smaller.

There can be no assurance that you will be allowed to board with it as  there
is no consistency even within the same airline on same size plane.   So in
future, when I fly with instrument of any significant size, I will attempt  to
pack and insure it appropriately, ship it, or luggage check it, and not  travel
with an instrument unless I understand I may never see it again.   The only
certain option if you must fly and be absolutely certain you  can carry a
premium instrument with you is to buy it a seat.
Ginny

In a message dated 7/29/2006 5:00:44 P.M. Central Daylight Time,