[Dixielandjazz] Lyrics

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 26 09:47:31 PDT 2006

Hi Pat and all,

You wrote (regarding P.C. lyrics):

>In the UK the nursery schools are teaching Baa, baa rainbow sheep` instead
>of `black sheep`in the old nursery rhyme. Are these fools trying to wish
>the colour black out of existence so that they don`t offend some imaginary
>audience?

Yeah . . . next thing you know the history books will be referring to the
"rainbow plague" which swept Europe a few years back.

By the way, I think you probably read that item about the "rainbow sheep" in
the Times. The story went on to include the following:

---->start Times clip

In keeping with the new approach, teachers at the nurseries have reportedly
also changed the ending of Humpty Dumpty so as not to upset the children and
dropped the seven dwarfs from the title of Snow White.

----> end clip

I wonder (if this is indeed true) how the inding of Humpty Dumpty could be
changed to reflect a more positive denouement . . . "All the king's horses
and all the king's men had a delicious omelet!"

And then that bit about dropping the dwarfs from the title of the Snow White
story -

1. Did they also delete any reference to dwarfs in the text?

2. And what about "Snow White" (fairest in the land) - Doesn't the story
tend to place "white" in a superior context thus also rendering all other
colors "inferior?"

3. And in astronomy what about those "dwarf stars" - must we call them
something like "teeny stars" -- and what about the astronomical anomaly, the
"white dwarf" - this has to be an oxymoron of sorts, a kind of superior
inferior.

HELP! Sombody stop me!! - I've obviously got too much time on my hands!
Furthermore this is drifting too far afield of our stated genre - jazz!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "I need a drink" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com