[Dixielandjazz] Lyrics

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Wed Jul 26 07:39:59 PDT 2006

Hi Pat,
The banjo seems to have become very much an icon of the racial stereotyping
that was done of African-Americans.  It did not stop with minstrel shows  and
vaudeville, but apparently has been very much a part of at least some
bluegrassers' behavior and attitudes in U.S. even in the present. (I  don't have
direct experience, am relying on what I read.)  There is an  email list called
"Black Banjo Then and Now" via Yahoo Groups which has a great  deal of this info,
but finding it would be very challenging archive reading by  now.  The Black
Banjo group emerged as part of the aftermath of research  into Old Time black
five string playing.  I post there from time to time re  African American DL
banjoists.  That group promotes both playing and  knowing the history of banjo
as the antecedents of current banjo got to American  continents and islands
via slaves.

But, yes, in the 80's, my experiences were that African-Americans  generally
abhorred the banjo.  (Yes, I know I'm setting myself up for  the banjo jokes,
etc.  Save your fingers--I probably heard them. LOL)   Anyhow, I am pleased to
see this abhorrence gradually turn around.

Rainbow sheep seems likes another good example of things we humans do when
we don't know history or how to use it.  Would not black wool be prized for
it's scarcity?  The original messages of nursery rhymes are another  fascinating
area as in "Ring Around the Rosy" being about bubonic  plague--similar to
getting blue (from the treatment) when a naughty sweetie  gives one syphilis.
Ginny

In a message dated 7/26/2006 4:47:01 A.M. Central Daylight Time,