Subject: RE: [Dixielandjazz] Misunderstanding old tunes

pat ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 25 06:07:35 PDT 2006

 wherefore art thou, Romeo? Is she blind? Is
there a  heavy fog coming into Verona? No, in middle English, that phrase
meant,
why does  your name have to be Romeo>>

Aw C`mon,

there are plenty of things in Shakespeare which need an explanation `I can
still tell a hawk from a handsaw` for instance, but the fact that
`wherefore` meant `why` is surely pretty obvious. Particularly when followed
by `a rose by any other name would smell as sweet`..

I think we beat ouselves up too much with explanations in which  no one is
interested. They think it is just a good tune and who on earth, unless they
are looking for a reason to be offended, could object to the lyrics of  Dark
Town strutters Ball. Dark Town? its just a place, Strutters? They are just
Dancers. How do you get from there to Black Hookers?

Who would ever connect `the blues` with the colour you turned after
treatment for a social disease. I dont believe it for a minute.

I don`t suppose anyone plays `My little Octoroon` any more but stop falling
over backwards looking for reasons not to play certain songs.

Cheers

Pat