[Dixielandjazz] Joe Sullivan's Little Rock Getaway

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 24 18:39:33 PDT 2006

"David W. Littlefield" <dwlit at patriot.net> wrote

> Sullivan's classic record of 8/8/35 is on Classics 821, "Joe Sullivan,
> 1933-1941".
>
> Steve, did Sullivan play the long, fancy intro when you were hearing him?

I remember his playing an intro but I do not know if it is the "long and
Fancy" one since I am not familiar with it. Can't remember how the intro he
played went. Only that is seemed like a production.

In those years Joe Sullivan was carrying a big package. (alcoholic) He was a
great pianist, but stumbled around and we felt sorry for him. I do remember
his introduction after De Paris would finish the first set.

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, how about a big hand for Joe Sullivan, Al
Capone's favorite pianist."
Cheers,
Steve