[Dixielandjazz] Misunderstanding old tunes

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Mon Jul 24 12:26:57 PDT 2006

The original lyrics are "When the darkies beat their feet on the Mississippi
Mud."  Ever since I have first-hand memory of hearing that song (going back
to the '50s) the offensive term has been changed to "people."

Oh, and to replay to something I didn't get around to answering over the
weekend, it's not the subject matter that is offensive nowadays.  It's the
single word "Darktown."  That would refer the African American portion of
the city, and it would be considered offensive today.

Interestingly enough the area across the Dan Ryan expressway from U.S.
Cellular Field (where my beloved White Sox play ball), there is a
neighborhood called Bronzeville.  Many think this has to do with the fact
that since about World War I, the area has been populated mainly by African
Americans.  (It's the neighborhood that Louis Armstrong used to play in and
all the kids from Austin High School made their way to in order to hear
him.)  In fact it had that name long before the black migration to the South
Side.

Hal Vickery