[Dixielandjazz] Misunderstanding old tunes

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Jul 24 10:59:53 PDT 2006

If you take the time to learn the history and message of the lyrics and
explain them briefly to your audience and educate them to the song and
 from whence it came and point out that SOME OF US HAVE "COME A LONG WAY
BABY" and actually learned how to present Historical music in and as a
real true art form and not as a slanderous or disrespectful song to
anyone then the song can indeed be sold.

If we addressed every OKOM song in a politically correct approach we
would have to throw out much of it with the bath water, I think there
is a better approach.   Hey I did the impossible a couple days ago,
speaking of politically incorrect, I got a group of BLACK AMERICAN
MUSICIANS to play "DIXIE"  :))   And only one of them had an issue with
the song, and He will soon get over it.   He did not want to play the
tune but did anyway.    Hey it is a real winner of a tune, especially
if you have a Red Neck audience in front of you.   Most of them would
not even understand why Black folks would have a reservation to playing
that song anyway.   It seems perfectly Normal to them and usually has a
totally different meaning even if they don't fully understand it
themselves, "hey Bubba throw me anuther one uv them cold beers boy, and
wud u puleeze point that gun the other direction fore I have to shoot
yore butt !!

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
who does know the difference.