[Dixielandjazz] Hooking Cows

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Jul 24 10:46:46 PDT 2006

Well:  Talking about a can of worms opening :))

I have seen a few HOOKERS THAT WERE PRETTY HEFTY  HEIFERS, YET THEY
SEEM TO HOOK CUSTOMERS, :))

Cheers,

Tom

Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Hooking Cows

   "Robert Smith" <robert.smith at tele2.no> wrote

> I'm confused by titles. I don't mean as in the present discussion.
Having been
> born and raised in England I'm not easily able to understand Southern
States
> slang. So, having no idea what a "hooking cow" is, and as the tune as
played
> by "Handy's Orchestra Of Memphis" has no vocal, I'm at a loss to know
where to
> look for an answer.
>
> The only reference I found on Google was this:
> "Oh, the hooking cow!" exclaimed the child, almost dropping her pail
of
> buttermilk. ...
> from "Stories for Girls". Could this be a euphemism for a stronger
expression?

> Has anyone published a dictionary of Southern States slang? If so,
I'd be very
> interested in some information about this.

Maybe the "hooking" cow is one that hooks a horn into you? Like impales
you?
Or stomps you? Like the famous University of Texas cheer at athletic
events;
"Hook em horns!" The U. Texas teams are nick named "Longhorns" which
refers
to a breed of cattle with widespread horns.

Or at a bullfight, a hooking cow (bull) might be one that charges the
red
cape straight on and then hooks at the last moment and impales the
matador.

Then again, the cow may refer to a hooker . . . like in working girl?
Hard
to say which is correct, if either.

Cheers,
Steve