[Dixielandjazz] Racist lyrics, Limehouse Blues (was Aunt Hagar's Blues)

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 24 09:41:52 PDT 2006

Hi Rae Ann and all,

You wrote (re: Limehouse Blues): "To me Limehouse Blues has a line that says
'Say it with a beautiful song' from Say It With Music.  Anybody else agree?"

I can't find those words anywhere in any of the versions of the song I've
seen, but I don't particularly disagree because it's possible somebody on
some recording may have added that line.  However, the only response to it
when I google it is in "Say it with music."

Say it with music - Beautiful music
Somehow they'd rather be kissed
To the strains of Chopin or Liszt
Melodies mellow - Played on a cello
Help Mr. Cupid along
So SAY IT WITH A BEAUTIFUL SONG.

That aside . . . what's interesting to me is that the following lyrics
appear in the verse and chorus of "Limehouse Blues" (Firehouse Fakebook):

"In Limehouse, Where yellow Chinkies love to play . . . I've the real
Limehouse blues, learned from the chinkies those sad China blues."

Oh my . . . I have never heard those lyrics sung but somebody must have
because there they are.

And how about "Squaws Along the Yukon" (Ooga-ooga-mooska)?  I understand the
terms "squaw" is today an unacceptable racist epithet . . . is that true?

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Honkie" Gunter (oops, can I say that?)

jazzboard at hotmail.com