[Dixielandjazz] Horn Parts and Rags

mmckay macjazz at se.rr.com
Sat Jul 22 12:32:42 PDT 2006

Ron, I tend to agree with you overall. There have been a couple of recent
essays on blackface and the whole phenomena but I haven't been able to
dredge up where they appeared. I'll keep trying. Here is all I found so far
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1919122 and
http://www.musicals101.com/blackface.htm. The 2nd is pretty good.

These things were certainly racist. On the other hand, they were certainly
acceptable by the standards of the day. Lots (and lots) of things that we
recognize as deplorable (in the very nicest of terms) were acceptable. We
will look back at some of the things done in this era (with prisoners for
instance and even the prison system itself) in 50 or 100 years and wonder
how such things were ever allowed to take place.

The question today is does the item in question happen in a racist manner?
If you perform "Shine" or "Darktown strutters ball" is it as an up tempo pop
song or as a racist statement. I do theater and was directing "Ain't
Misbehavin" with a group of friends. (I am white. They weren't. We had
worked together on any number of productions over a period of several years
as community theater groups are apt to do.) It all went very well other than
"Black and blue." I had trouble staging it and working with interpretations,
which they thought was funny at first. Then they had trouble singing it. We
had to work though it and did.

If you look back at theater and stage work in general everything was based
on ethnic humor all through into the 30's.  Gershwin's show "Of Thee I Sing"
which won a Pulitzer, is all ethnic stereotypes. As late as the early 50's
Fred Allen visited Allan's Alley on radio every week that was all ethnic
and/or racial stereotypes -- to say nothing of Amos and Andy. Were they any
worse than Lum and Abner, if you lived in the Ozarks or the mountains of
Eastern Kentucky/West Virginia?

We seldom see blackface today (other than Ted Danson and Whopee Goldberg's
bit at the Friars club a few years ago). We don't condone that type of
racism, but as always, it's the thought that should be questioned. Not the
act.

Anyone wants to yell back on this, go for it. I won't feel bad either way.

Smiles,

Mart

Martin D. McKay, Designated Listener