[Dixielandjazz] Critics

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Fri Jul 21 14:22:22 PDT 2006

Dear Ms. Johnson and Steve,
One more excerpt from my proposed book on "Jazz Reference Books". Cheers.
Fred
Gennari, John. Blowin' Hot and Cool. Chicago, University of Chicago Press,
2006.

xiv, 480 pp., index.

In "Meet the Critics", an article in his 1958 New Yearbook of Jazz, Leonard
Feather presented the musical background of 19 American jazz critics (see
WHO?). He revealed that six of them had no musical experience; nine had only
a limited exposure to some form of music; and four were professional
musicians. This means that at least half of them were almost certainly
musically ignorant. I had hoped that the main theme of this book would be
whether jazz critics should or should not be able to play jazz. Instead, the
author's promise of providing "a definitive history of jazz criticism from
the 1920s to the present"is framed in cloudy socio-cultural jargon. Typical
of this style is Chapter 7, which is entitled "Race-ing The Bird. Ross
Russell's Obsessive Pursuit of Charlie Parker." The misspelled title reveals
the author's bias.

This book is a "better-than-some" example of the current jazz
pseudo-academic "genre" (a detestable word) by an assistant professor of
English at the University of Vermont. It is not a straightforward discussion
of jazz criticism. For a summary of this topic read Chapter 9,"The Critics",
in James Lincoln Collier's book, Jazz. The American Theme Song (Oxford
University Press, 1993)

(also see QUOTATIONS).