[Dixielandjazz] The Simpsons Influence British Jazzer.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 20 17:47:27 PDT 2006

One never knows, do one? :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

>From www.thisislancashire.co.uk/

Simpsons character inspired musical prodigy
By Saiqa Chaudhari

 IT was not music legends such as Charlie Parker who were the inspiration
behind teenager Philip Meadows' musical ambition to become the world's
greatest saxophonist . . .

It was the late great Bleeding Gums Murphy and Lisa Simpson, two characters
from hit American cartoon series The Simpsons!

But now 16-year-old Philip, who has being playing the instrument for just
six years, has beaten strong competition to win a place at the world famous
Chethams School of Music in Manchester.

Philip of Bromley Cross, said: "It was just through watching The Simpsons
that I decided I would like to play the instrument.

"I also grew up listening to jazz music because of my dad, he was always
playing it."

Philip, who has just taken his GCSEs at Canon Slade, was one of 1,250 young
musicians applying for just 40 places at Chethams this September.

He is lead saxophonist with Bolton Youth Jazz Orchestra and was the 2005
Young Jazz Musician of the Year with Bolton Music Service.

He also won the title of Musician of the Year at Canon Slade School.

He has achieved grade eight in playing the instrument, the highest possible,
and can also play the flute, piano and clarinet.

"I needed to play other instruments to increase my chances of getting in to
Chethams and it also increases your opportunity in performing with a band if
you can play other instruments," said Philip, who has performed across the
Noth-west with the jazz orchestra as well as with semi-professional band
Nostalgia. He will be taking part in the in the Wigan International Jazz
Festival and Manchester Jazz Festival later this month.

His potential has also been recognised by BBC's Fame Academy, which has
awarded him a bursary for £1,200 to buy a new soprano saxophone, which will
replace his intermediary "student" instrument which he currently plays.