[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz Returns to LaBeau's, Martinez, CA

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Mon Jul 17 22:41:33 PDT 2006

LaBeau's Louisiana Kitchen in Martinez, CA, was the Saturday night venue for
Ted Shafer's Jelly Roll Jazz Band for the last few years.  However, the
restaurant was sold in May. The former owners had planned to open a new
floating restaurant and lounge at the Martinez Marina, but the boat on which
it was to be housed sank in several hundred feet of water while being
transported from Southern California.

In the meantime, the new owners have re-named the restaurant "J. T.
LaBeau's," there's a new menu, and OKOM is returning. They've have hired the
Jelly Roll Jazz Band to resume playing there one night a week -- Tuesday
nights from 7 - 10 PM, beginning Tuesday, July 25.

The usual band personnel (subject to occasional substitution) is:

	Ted Shafer -- Banjo & Leader
	Earl Scheelar -- Cornet & Clarinet
	Pete Main -- Clarinet, Sax (& Duck Call & Sarrusophone)
	Glenn Calkins -- Trombone (& Ophicleide & whatever else
			     he can find)
	Jim O'Briant -- Tuba (with a threat to bring an Ophicleide
			    & a Double-Belled Euphonium)
	Sharon Swenson -- Piano

J.T. LaBeau's is located at 436 Ferry Street in downtown Martinez, CA.  The
telephone number for reservations is (925)-229-9232.

We have new restaurant owners who need to be convinced that hiring live
musicians playing OKOM will be a paying proposition. We invite everyone
who's anywhere in the area to come for the good food, good beverages and
good music.

Jim O'Briant
Tuba
  Double-Belled Euphonium