[Dixielandjazz] A fine player - info please

Tony Pringle tonypringle at comcast.net
Mon Jul 17 05:50:45 PDT 2006

Hi,

Jean-Francois Bonnel and his wife used to play with the Hot Antic
Jazz band based in southern France. Jean-Francois was an incredibly
talented clarinet and sax player. His wife, Virginie, played alto sax.

In the 1980 the Black Eagles played alongside the Hot Antics in
Edinburgh and Friday Harbor. We also hosted them a number of times in
and around Boston. Together the bands performed arrangements from the
book of Joe Oliver's Dixie Syncopators. I especially remember having
a rehearsal with them in Edinburgh and realised that the small
audience included Humphrey Lyttleton and Buck Clayton. That was a bit
frightening.

The last time they played with us was in Boston and it was apparent
that Jean-Francois was moving towards a more modern style of playing.

Michel Bastide, the leader of the Hot Antic Jazz Band, might be a
useful source for more up to date information.

Best,

Tony Pringle
--
Leader, New Black Eagle Jazz Band