[Dixielandjazz] The origins of Jazz

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 16 11:01:36 PDT 2006

Here is some information that I have in my files about the origins of jazz.
If true, jazz roots go a lot further back into history and are directly
linked to Africa. For sure, one cannot ignore the West African Dahomey
influence in 18th century New Orleans, and the West Indies prior to that.

Depending upon the gig audience, I sometimes draw from this to give insights
between numbers. Especially the licentious parts, when we are in front of a
lot of young people. :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

The history of jazz is steeped in the mysterious. This can only be so since
its origins can be traced way back to the mysteries of the temple rituals of
ancient, pagan Babylon. In fact its origins are purely religious, being an
integral part of orgies and devil worship. This entire system of pagan
worship, including the music, eventually filtered down into Egypt.

Egypt is where modern historians directly trace the origins of jazz music.
In fact we know quite a lot about music in Egypt. We know for a fact that it
was used to alter the emotions, it was used to create mass hypnosis and
especially to incite immorality. We also know what type of rhythms and
harmonies were used and we can clearly recognize the elements of Jazz.
Aristotle writing about the effects of this music says,

"Emotions of any kind are produced by melody and rhythm...music has the
power to form character. The manner of its arrangement being so important
that the various modes may be distinguished by their effects on character.
One for example, working in the direction of melancholy, another of
effeminacy; one encouraging abandonment, another self control, another
enthusiasm, and so on through the series."

These effects on character we will see in more detail a little later. Plato
himself, however, gives us an insight into these effects.

"When modes of music change, the fundamental laws of the state always change
with them (for) this spiritual license, finding a home, imperceptibly
penetrates into manners and customs; whence, issuing with greater force, it
invades contracts between man and man, and from contracts goes on to laws
and constitutions, in utter recklessness, ending at last, by an overthrow of
all rights, private as well as public."

"From ancient Egypt, it spread to West Africa, including Dahomey and the
Congo. A significant dance tradition derived from the Egyptians is found in
the western Congo." In fact this dance called the "Danse du ventre" could be
mistaken for modern dance in that "the shoulders, buttocks, stomach and
breasts are all separately or simultaneously rotated, wagged or otherwise
set in motion." (ibid.) In fact a similar dance is the Voodoo, which is also
a religion, and its origin is traceable to Dahomey. Music in these African
cultures is intricately involved in devil worship, altering the conscious
state and inciting sexual orgies. This music subsequently found its way
across the Atlantic to America aboard slave ships.

"Enroute to the United States many slaves were taken first to the West
Indies, especially Hispaniola; then after a time many were sold in New
Orleans. They brought with them their religious and musical heritage. Those
from Santo Domingo had retained their ancient Voodoo worship practices and
continued them in New Orleans."

"One of the most exotic sights in old New Orleans was the slave dancing that
took place in the ŒPlace Congo¹. The slaves¹ custom of assembling on Sundays
and church holy days to dance in public squares must have begun before 1786,
for in that year a local ordinance was passed forbidding such dancing until
after the close of religious services."

"The exposure of this African music and dance tradition to the public
provided an opportunity for it to influence and be influenced by European
musical tradition. The unique rhythmical emphasis of these dances plus many
other ingredients and entertainment practices combined to form a music
called JAZZ. Authorities agree that work songs from cotton fields, rural and
urban blues, banjo styles from minstrel shows, syncopated brass bands and
ragtime, all played an important part. Even Voodoo had its influence on
jazz.". "The syncopation as a primary ingredient of jazz developed as a
rhythmic accommodation of the Africans. Syncopation was the nearest and best
substitute for the complicated polyrhythms that were an integral part of
their musical heritage." It is this syncopation that causes music to
"swing".

Jazz, the precursor of modern rock and roll, has a very interesting place in
history. The name Jazz comes from the now defunct word jass, which means the
sexual act." Jazz to the pagan is a symptom of a glorious release from the
bonds of moral restraint. It came from the slums of music; it corrupted
taste and manners." In fact jazz music was mainly developed for use by piano
players in brothels, and larger bands in nearby honky tonks.