[Dixielandjazz] Music stands

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Jul 16 10:15:05 PDT 2006

I  play in Mikes  band quite often and use the stands (
www.embeeideas.com  ) with my bands all the time.  He has recently updated
his equipment so that the logos etc are even better.  They come in 3 sizes.
If you sit down and read music I would recommend the middle size.  They can
be expensive depending on what you want on them but  then sign graphics are
not cheap anywhere.  They hold up very well if you take care of them and
will last a long time.  You can see us and some of the stands at
www.michaelbrooks.com

Those stands have been in use for at least 5 years and they still look very
good.  They are also very light weight.  I recommend buying the bags for
them.   Mike sells stand lights too.

There are two caveats.  Although I haven't damaged mine by leaving them in
hot cars but it is very possible.  If you left something heavy on them or in
a bend they might take a set and get a permanent bend.  The second is that
they don't do well on unleveled ground or in high winds.  Mike includes
wires with the taller stands to brace the bottom and something heavy can be
put on them to hold them down.  If you were in those conditions I recommend
a folding Manhasset or similar stand.  They aren't bullet proof so don't
think you can dump stuff on them or hit them with sharp objects.

Another trick is if you have two bands you can go to a sign shop and have
the second logo put on the inside.  These stands are reversible and if you
go out as another band you can reverse to the blank side.

He sells them to just about every University, Military band and many high
school bands in the country and many internationally.  We also use them with
the Scottish Rite brass and while we don't give them hard use they have been
in use for about 6 years and they still look new..

I buy them blank and put on my own graphics but not everybody owns a sign
shop.  I have about 20 of them.  I also Velcro special fronts on them for
Xmas, Valentines day, Mardi Gras and St. Patrick's but this is overkill.

They also do them quickly so you won't have to wait months.
Larry Walton
St. Louis