[Dixielandjazz] Re Roots of Jazz and Blues

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sun Jul 16 08:51:07 PDT 2006

My thoughts are that this is indeed how and why early jazz could and did
happen.  I don't find any other early U.S. city where there was as much
interchange of ethnicity (with African descendants included) as New  Orleans.

If you are fascinated by New Orleans history, there is a lengthy series of
books by an author named Barbara Hambly.  She has a web page--but don't get
lost in all her other books--she has a string of other genres also.  In the
series I am talking about here, book one is "A Free Man of Color" and book two,
"Fever Season".  I have only read the first two books at this point.   This is
an author who appears to have done a great deal of historical research  and
her books are slow reading, remind me of Jane Austin, they way they bury you
in the setting and the daily life.  BUT the protagonist is Creole (so dark  his
mother is ashamed of him), an educated professional pianist, and a physician
educated in Paris, but not allowed to practice as such in New Orleans--not
allowed full and free practice in Paris either.  Time period begins in the
1830's, yes 1830's--so very pre-jazz, but very much about what music was getting
played on what instruments--very much centered around piano and violin.  I
consider these books rich in portrayal of the conflict of cultures as well as
the bleed-through (well, yes, and semen-through) of various nationalities.
Ginny

In a message dated 7/16/2006 9:49:01 A.M. Central Daylight Time,