[Dixielandjazz] 11th Grade Jazz History

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Wed Jul 12 09:07:33 PDT 2006

I spent about 20" skimming through the content of each lesson last evening,
noting the content, recordings selected, but not taking time to listen as
familiar with a number of them.  I found the content highly equivalent to a
college course in History of Jazz that I took as an adult student in the
mid-1980's.  The course I took did include frequent video or movie clips  along with
records, CDs.

Critiques I have relate to personal opinions about how some of the history
and context are presented and emphasized (or not).  The professor I had was  a
Monk worshipper--he made his admiration and personal bias clear.  I like  Monk
also.  Playing bassoon in community bands has put me in contact with  lots of
music educators in my area as they play in these groups also.  My
impressions of jazz taught at either the high school or college level is that  educators
(generality here) do consider Dixieland the first chapter of  history, give
it about the first 1/8 (maybe) of total course time, consider  it the past and
not the present, do not themselves spend time or money in  exploring what is
(or isn't) happening in Dixieland today.
Ginny

In a message dated 7/12/2006 10:45:33 A.M. Central Daylight Time,